Thursday, June 23, 2011

Week 9 (lots of pictures)!

Hello me lovers!! Olright so I don't even know where to begin today. I survived my first transfers! ha ha Sister Christensen and I are staying here in lovely Exeter. Yay! I'm really really grateful, there is still a lot of work that we need to do here so we are grateful for at least 6 more weeks to do it. :)

A few things first- there were so many birthdays this week of people here in the ward and it was so fun to celebrate and I thought of Jana-Leigh and Whitney as well, happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY I almost forgot. Mom. You are a rockstar!!!! Ok that package was absolutely the best. It was the perfect combination of everything. We started jumping up and down when we saw the cds, new music!!!!!!!! ha ha oh and it is so lovely. Ok we are sister missionaries, we LOVED the wedding announcements. Please keep sending those :) the treats were fantastic and it's always just so wonderful to get some encouragement from home! Really thank you.

Well it feels like it has been forever because of moves day and so much has happened! Oh I went on my first exchange last week! First we did a workover in Paignton (it is so beautiful there! it's a little seaside town) and then Sister Marchioni (from Denmark) came back up to Exeter with me and we worked together for a day. It was so great! It's always fun to see how other missionaries work and to learn from them. ANNDDDDDD she is shorter than me. Oh yes it's true. I'll send a picture. ha ha
Well something I have been thinking about a lot this week is how we live the gospel when no one is watching. I was asked to speak in sacrament meeting on that but it was funny because it was something Sis. C and I had been talking about. Well in a series of unfortunate events our darling Robin was having a terrible horrible no good very bad day and after sacrament meeting he came up to us and he told us that he had the feeling to get up and walk out and never come back just like he had 20 years ago. Then he said "But I didn't. I wanted to stay, I wanted to stay and hear you speak so I didn't get up and walk out" ... you know me. I'm a cryer. You better believe I started crying ha ha it really was so sweet and I realized that sometimes we don't know we are helping others. We do things because we know they are true, I wrote that talk because I thought it was something I just needed to reiterate to myself and remember the reason WHY I do the things that I do, because I know they are true. I follow the rules because I know when I'm obedient I will be safe and feel the spirit, not because I know Sister Christensen or the district leaders etc. are watching but in sharing that talk I was able to help Robin! Now he wasn't staying just for me, but the spirit told him and prompted him to stay so he could feel the spirit that is always there in sacrament meeting! Moral of the story- when you think no one else is watching.... people really are. But don't do things because you know they are watching, do things because you want to and because you believe and know those things and I promise that in doing that you WILL bless the lives of others. I'm so grateful for Robin sharing that with me so I could remember that. Bishop was able to give him a blessing after church that was incredible and we went and saw Robin yesterday and he is doing really really well. A trial came to him but he was able to overcome it with the help of the Holy Ghost! (... I hope any of that made sense ha ha I feel myself rambling a lot of the time :))

Well these were a few of my favorite things this week:
*Our toilet is fixed! We can flush our toilet!
*The heaters at the church are fixed! We aren't peoplesicles all the time anymore!
*My 2 teared umbrella and my rainboots :D ohh I love staying dry-ish on rainy rainy days
*Ward parties. Seriously, it was so great.
*Hearing the cathedral bells chime
*Exeter. It's a postcard waiting to happen. :)

More pictures!!


- We went to dinner at a family's house that owns a farm so we got to go see everything. Ya we are going to do service there next week. Are we excited? Um YES!!!


-Our darling Ida. Our BFF from the Netherlands. :) She came for uni to study and interview people about how people eat in England and she stayed with a woman from the ward called Pat. She came with us to different teaches within the ward to interview people after we taught them but she goes home tomorrow :( Anyone want to go to the Netherlands in 16 months? ha ha oh ya ps that's right, 2 months yesterday. What?!
-We found this cute gate and had to take a picture in front of it. ha ha PS! Check our my skirt and my raincoat... ya those are my fab flat finds! There was a sister here a couple moves before me that was my size and she left so much stuff here because she went home from Exeter and I'm so grateful! She left some shoes as well so since I couldn't find my vans before I left, I have shoes for pday!!

-So we had a ward party on Saturday and it was a fabulous success! It was a 1940's street party and it was Phyllis' 90th birthday party!!! So everyone dressed up and we played lots of old fashioned games and it was just so much fun! You can see the Sneil's really well in the picture here, ha ha Brother Sneil and his draw on mustache, love it!

-Sister Marchioni and I and a little tiny baby puppy we saw on the street! Sister Christensen saw this picture and said "Ohh a miniature dog for the miniature sisters!!"

-Andrew right before his baptism. 9 years old and he is seriously the man!!!!

-We had dinner at the Bakewell's home and... yes we were playing wth our food ha ha (we put grapes above our teeth... it's hilarious, seriously try it sometime) oh and that's Sonia!

- the front of the temple... where's waldo! ha ha yes i'm in the picture but you can barely see me


-the temple :)

-Devon district June 2011

-Alec right before his baptism. I can't remember if I sent this or not! He is so so sweet. Oh and that's Scott Jolliffe next to him who baptised him, he is so wonderful!


One last thing, we asked our darling neighbours Tim and Jen if there is anything we could do for them to help them (Jen if pregnant!!!!! She is due in December :)) and they told us they would love some help in the garden and they would LOOOVVVVEEEEE some homemade American brownies. :) SO will you please find the most delicious homemade brownies and send it to us?

If you have a recipe, leave it in the comments and I will convert it to english measurements (unless you really want to convert it yourself)

:) That would be magic! Thank you! We love you all!


The purple italicized writing is Shannon.

No comments: