Friday, October 7, 2011

Week 24



CONFERENCE!!!!! Oh I have so many happy thoughts and wonderful moments I want to share with you. First of all another temple in PROVO!? You have got to be kidding me!!! ha ha the missionaries from our district came to our chapel for the broadcast and one of them is from Orem and he and I were both freaking out- are you serious?! Yay!!! Does anyone know when they will begin construction or when they plan to have it finished? AND a temple in Starvalley!? Ha ha I could only imagine dads reaction to that! That is so so exciting. I love temples! And how cute was President Monson when he got up to announce the new temples "Hello!" ha ha
 
OK so let me rewind a little bit- this weekend started out with a lovely zone conference. I love zone conference so much. AND we had heard they were flying the Jersey sisters (Sister Christensen) over for it and then the day before we heard they wouldn't be able to come- we were gutted. Sister Fekete said they would always do that, say they could go to a conference and then last minute say they wouldn't be able to go but we walked into the chapel in Poole and I saw this tall Sister out of the corner of my eye... sure enough it was Sister Christensen! It was so good to see them! So anyways zone conference was amazing- one of my favorite things was during lunch they said they had a film they wanted to show us, it started and we were all a little skepticle but by the end... we were all in tears. (Of course I was, I'm a cryer what can I say. Oh my gosh it was so funny President Shamo was telling us a story and he was talking about Elder Packer crying about some hymns and he said "Elder Packer doesn't show his emotions, me on the other hand, I was crying over the COLOR of the book! ha ha) anyways I think if you search on youtube you should be able to find it and watch it- watch it tonight for family home evening, I'm serious it's amazing! It's called "The Butterfly Circus"
 
So President Shamo started telling us about how for 30 years his life revolved around conference. He timed everything from conference to conference. He told us that about a week and a half before to a week and a half after conference he would disappear- he was the guy that was in charge of making sure everything ran smoothly for conference. He said that President Faust used to always say to him "What's the word Brother Shamo?" and President would respond "Redundancy, redundancy, redundancy" he told us how at the conference center they have MANY systems for one thing. If the main sound system goes down, they have another system that will start right up etc. etc. and then he started talking about how it's not only redundancy in the way everything runs behind the scenes, but it's redundancy in what they say as well. That was one thing I noticed about general conference- there were certain things that stuck out to me that kept coming up speaker after speaker- it's amazing! Some of those things that stuck out for me were-
 
*making and keeping covenants
*the second coming- and preparing for it!
*charity
*The Book of Mormon
 
Ok that may have been my favorite talk- Tad R. Callister's talk about the Book of Mormon- wow I loved that! He made it so clear and spoke about it so well. I loved the visual how many straight lines or interpretations can come from the bible but when you have the Bible AND The Book of Mormon only ONE straight line can be drawn between the two. I also really liked the two talks about NAMES LeGrand Curtis Jr. about the name of Jesus Christ and Elder Ballard about the name The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Elder Bednar told us to study the name of Jesus Christ so that's something we have been doing so it was so neat to hear them speak about names and the importance of names as well. Oh and I LOVED Elder Holland's talk during Priesthood session (... ya we went to the priesthood sesh. ha ha don't worry we went with an investigator) but holy cow it was amazing! It was so funny to see the difference between the Relief Society session "We love you, you are amazing, you are not forgotten" and then the Priesthood session "We are going to get close enough to just singe your eyebrows, come on men we need to do better!" ha ha I loved it though because that's what I needed to hear. The Lord has set the lines for us and we CANNOT dribble outside the lines. We can't play for both teams! Oh I just remember thinking they spoke of the hymn "We are all Enlisted" a few times, and they spoke of Lehi's vision and Timothy 4 more than once as well... those are things I want to study more. Ohhh President Uchtdorf's talk Saturday morning session, that number 4 spoke so much comfort to my heart. I loved that.
 
So something rather amazing- Krzysztof was so excited about coming for conference, he showed up Saturday and we got everything set up so he could listen to the Polish translation live while watching it ps how cool is that? I love that we can do that with technology! They can instantly translate it so he can watch and understand as well! and afterwards we talked to him about it and then he asked if it was ok that he was parked out in the car park and we told him of course it is and he said no is it ok if I leave my car in the carpark over night and sleep in my car so I can be here in the morning for conference too? .... :( He told us he didn't have money to drive all the way home and back but he wanted to see conference the next day! What a stud!! He is amazing. He loved conference! Well... man I don't even know what else I want to tell you about but I guess that's all for now. :) Szeretlek! OH we went and saw those Hungarians on Thursday we found a few weeks ago and we went in and Sister Fekete said they are really excited about learning about the gospel of Jesus Christ so we are going to go back this week to teach them, AND the daughter speaks English, so I'll get to teach a little bit too :) ha ha
 
These are a few of my favorite things-
*Getting an email from Sister Blackham with the subject "Your hugs have been delivered" :) I don't know if I said last week but thank you SO much for going to their homecoming!!
*We found a new place to e-mail, it's a little cafe and it's only £1 for an hour where we were paying £2.50 at the library for an hour! Yikes. Plus last week when we were leaving the nice man said "don't even worry about the cost- just come see us again!" ... we are hoping he says that again today ;) ha ha
*Jo got a new job at pizza hut and she gets free pizza... and brings it to us. :D Am I getting fat you may ask? You bet your cotton socks I am!! ha ha
*Learning how to knit :) Last pday Rachael taught us how to knit and we might go over for a little bit again today and learn how to read patterns, you just wait Penny and Mary, I'll be ready for the knitting parties when I get home!
*When your investigator uses words from the Book of Mormon in jokes for example: Last week one night I fell asleep with a bun in my hair and I slept right on the bun and woke up and my neck was killing me and for days it hurt so bad and I moved it weird after we were teaching him one day he said "Sister Mills are you stiffnecked?" ha ha ha
*CONFERENCE WEEKEND!
*THIS-
Hi Janna,
I had two missionaries visit last night and joining them today to watch the broadcast and church. Took a few months...but God didn't forget me:)
Tell you more later...but for now just wanted to thank you for our little talk on the plane.
Dave
 
:) This is Dave, the man I sat next to on the plane on my way to the England MTC. I told him about the church and I gave him a passalong card and we have been in contact here and there and then today he had sent me this email. :) God never forgets His children. :)

No comments: